We had done a post on recommended books for Quant a few days back. Here’s the list of the recommended books for Verbal Ability preparation for CAT 2018:
The Necessary Ones:
1. How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT: Meenakshi Upadhyay, Arun Sharma
This is a good book for someone who is starting off with verbal preparation for CAT. It covers almost all the topics which have been asked in CAT so far. The exercises at the end of each chapter with varying degrees of difficulty also help. However, as mentioned in the Quant post, there are a few errors and misprints in the book.
Link: Arun Sharma
2. The Pearson Guide To Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT: Nishit K. Sinha
Again as in Quant, this book is similar to Arun Sharma in terms of verbal ability. Pick and choose between this or Arun Sharma.
Link: Nishit Sinha
3. Objective English: Edgar Thorpe, Showick Thorpe
This is a little different from the 2 books mentioned above in that it isn’t tailored specifically for CAT. However the content is pretty good and this can be a good supplement to the 2 books.
1. Word Power Made Easy: Norman Lewis
Link: Norman Lewis
2. A Communicative Grammar of English: Geoffrey Leech
Link: Geoffrey Leech
3. 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary: Wilfred Funk and Norman Lewis
Link: Lewis Funk
4. High School English Grammar: Wren and Martin
Link: Wren and Martin